Today the Chapel Hill Transit operations facility was renamed in honor of former state Senator and Chapel Hill Mayor Howard Lee and his wife Lillian. Lee pushed for Chapel Hill Transit to be formed in 1974.
- Watch Mayor Lee and Chapel Hill Transit Director Brian Litchfield discuss the origins of Chapel Hill Transit
- Listen to Howard Lee, whose papers and audio are available from the UNC Library
- Look at the original bus route map published in the Daily Tar Heel on August 26, 1974
- Read Howard Lee’s autobiography, in which he describes growing up in a sharecropper’s farm in Georgia and his long career in public service
- Twitter: @BrightonMcC1 coverage of the dedication ceremony
- Fun fact: Howard Lee created the Mountains-to-Sea Trail
- Everything you need to know about local meetings and agenda this week (Triangle Blog Blog)
- Don’t forget: NEXT is hosting a conversation with Jenny Schuetz on Tuesday (Register here)
What’s happening elsewhere?
- Modern ‘redlining’ is pushing some Texans out of their homes (Washington Post)
- Environmentalists’ Lawsuit Brings Minneapolis’ YIMBY Success Story to a Screeching Halt (Reason)
If you would be interested in contributing to Triangle Blog Blog, please reach out email@example.com